bring your company towards food creativity and innovation with
FOOD DESIGN THINKING
WHAT IS FOOD DESIGN THINKING?
Food Design Thinking is the process that triggers creativity and leads to innovative, meaningful, and sustainable propositions for new dishes, food products, food events, food services, food systems, and anything in between.
Restaurants, cafes, and other food businesses fail... All the time.
Why? Most articles you’ll find list these reasons: location, lack of people management, lack of accounting skills, bad food execution, poor promotion, poor inventory, etc.
While these causes are all true, nobody talks about the number one reason why food businesses fail: lack of good ideas.
Food Design Thinking is the process that helps you generate ideas and final food concepts that are grounded in research, meaningful, and sustainable. Food Design Thinking is a complete process ideated by Dr. Francesca Zampollo. It consists of 52 methods most of which have been designed specifically for this process.
What is unique about the Food Design Thinking process
There are quite a few reasons why this Food Design Thinking process is unique and different from any other creativity process you might find around.
- FOOD: Being this a Food Design Thinking process, it is so far the first and only food-specific Design Thinking process. This process focuses on food: it is to be used to design anything food related, while it can not be used to design products or services that have nothing to do with food. This food-specificity is embedded in the Food Design Thinking methods themselves.
- MEANINGS: This process focuses of meanings. It is designed to help you consider, follow, and value emotions, values, and meanings, and it will help you design propositions that are meaningful to people and to the planet. This is achieved through the Food Design Thinking methods themselves.
- SUSTAINABILITY: It is very important for food designers and innovators today to always design focusing on Sustainability in all its three components: environmental sustainability, social sustainability, and economic sustainability. This Food Design Thinking process makes this a priority, and is designed to always guide you to consider these aspects of Sustainability. Sustainability will be achieved thanks to the Food Design Thinking methods themselves.
- BREATH & DEPTH: The Food Design Thinking process guides the food designer to expand the breath and depth of her understanding on the Food Design context of interest by using The 4 Pillars of Food Design as a framework. This framework used in most methods throughout the process.
- DESIGNING FOR THE EXPERIENCE: The Food Design Thinking process helps food designers generate Food Design ideas that consider all aspects of the eating experience: the food itself, the vessel, the space, and the interactions. The framework called Food Design Target is in fact embedded in all idea generation methods.
- SYSTEM THINKING: This process helps the food designer make sure that her thinking is expanded from narrow to broad: from product or service centric, for example, to considering and designing for the whole system that product or service is part of. This approach ensures the food designer is able to see where her proposition fits, how it interacts with other stakeholders, and possibly how it improves aspects of an existing system. System thinking is introduced at the very beginning of the process, reinforced throughout the process, and methodically used towards the end of the process.
- EMPATHY: Possibly the biggest contribution to the whole Design Thinking approach and theoretical development, is the way this specific process looks at and uses empathy. The Food Design Thinking process in face uses a specific sequence of methods between the explore and evaluate phases, that accompanies the food designer in a journey of empathy through three levels of empathy: cognitive empathy, emotional empathy, and compassionate empathy. When the food designer reaches the last level of empathy, she will not only understand what the target user thinks and feel, she will not only feel herself what the target user feel, but the empathy will be so deep that she will be moved to wanting to help. This is how meaningful propositions emerge: when the food designer is emotional involved to the cause she is designing for.
let's work together
1) WE DISCUSS YOUR GOALS
When you first get in touch we have a chat and discuss your specific needs, which will depend on what type of business you have and what you'd like to achieve by employing Food Design Thinking.
2) I CREATE A PERSONALISED PROCESS
I then create a personalised Food Design Thinking process based on your needs, your timeframe, and your budget
3) WE IMPLEMENT
I present to you your Food Design Thinking process in one of two ways:
1) I talk you through it and teach you all the steps and activities, and give you all the tools you'll need to carry it out in the future.
2) I facilitate a pilot process where you learn the Food Design Thinking process by experiencing the methods themselves, while developing an actual project of your choice.
Food Design or Food Design Thinking?
FOOD DESIGN vs FOOD DESIGN THINKING
Food Design is the Design discipline concerned with everything around food and the act of eating.
Food Design Thinking is the process that leads to generating new and innovative ideas for any food and eating related project.
DESIGN THINKING vs FOOD DESIGN THINKING
Food Design Thinking is a food-specific branch of Design Thinking.
What makes Food Design Thinking, is a series of specifically designed tools and techniques. These are designed to trigger creativity for projects around food, and could not, for example, be used in a general Design Thinking process.
While it is appropriate to use a Design Thinking process for food projects, I argue that when designing food and around the act of eating, adopting a Food Design Thinking process will lead to better and more cohesively designed propositions.
for whom is Food Design Thinking?
Food Design Thinking is for food companies wanting to create new and innovative products while gaining a deep understanding of their food design context and their target user/consumer.
CHEFS AND RESTAURANT OWNERS
Food Design Thinking is for chefs and restaurateurs who understand that there is more to an eating experience than what is on the plate, and want to learn a creative process to create new dishes and cohesively design the food vessel, the environment, and the service staff interaction with customers.
EATING DESIGNERS AND CATERING
Food Design Thinking is for eating designers and catering businesses who want the tools to always generate new and innovative ideas what are meaningful to their clients as well as sustainable.
"I have dedicated my whole career to Food Design and Food Design Thinking. The development of this methodology started during my Ph.D and continued throughout the years. I have taught Food Design Thinking at university as a senior lecturer, and brought it to food companies around the world. I would be happy to share with you too all the tools you need to bring your food company to the next level."
GET IN TOUCH
I'll be happy to answer any questions you have!
Just drop me an email at onlineschooloffooddesign at gmail dot com
The methods listed above are all available for you to start applying Food Design Thinking principles to your practice right now. Make sure you check the Amazon store closer to you.
You can find out more about THOUGHTS FOR FOOD by clicking HERE.
You can find out more about STARCHAT, IDEAHIVE, IDEAMARKET, and IDEASHAKE by clicking HERE.